Buy your first iPhone, iPad or Mac? Then the first thing to do is create an Apple ID. I’ll tell you now how to do this and why you need it.
I will create an Apple ID using the example of an iPhone 11 with iOS 13, and then a MacBook running macOS Catalina.
What is Apple ID and why you need it
So, Apple ID is one account for all your Apple devices. It is advisable to create an Apple ID from the very first day of purchase, as this will open access to all the company’s online services.
With Apple ID, you can:
- install applications from the App Store;
- use services for communication iMessage and FaceTime;
- use Apple Music;
- sync data using the iCloud cloud service;
- download music and movies from the iTunes Store;
- find your iPhone, iPad or Mac if lost or stolen.
How to create an Apple ID on iPhone or iPad for free
At the final stages of registering an Apple ID, you will be asked to provide your bank card details. Not everyone has such a card, but registration cannot be completed without it.
To create an Apple ID without a card, you need to start registration by downloading any free application. You can do it like this:
- Launch the App Store app on the iPhone;
- Go to the “Games” section from the bottom panel;
- Find any free game. There is always a price next to paid games, and a “Download” button next to free games;
- Click the “Download“;
- In the authorization window that appears, click “Create Apple ID”.
- Next, you will be asked for your email address and password. After registration, this email address will become your Apple ID;
- In addition to the mail, fill in whatever Apple wants from you;
- In the last step, you will be asked to enter “Payment Method”. Here you need to choose the cherished “No.” It was this option that was not available during regular registration.
- After that, you just have to confirm the phone number and email address.
READ ALSO: Apple ID Security: How to Protect Your Photos from Scammers and Jealous Girlfriends
How to create an Apple ID using a computer
The principle of creating an Apple ID without a card through a computer is absolutely the same, only registration takes place through the “desktop” App Store.
- Go to Finder, select a folder Applications and launch the App Store. Usually, the App Store is also located in the Dock – a panel with icons at the bottom of the desktop;
- Go to section Creation and choose any free application. There is always a button next to such an application “Download“, And then -” Create Apple ID “;
- Fill all necessary fields. Your email address will be your Apple ID;
- In the last step, you will see the “Payment Method” field. Select the item “No”;
- Then you just have to confirm your mail and phone number.
How to unbind a device from Apple ID
If you decide to buy an iPhone or iPad from your hands, or you received it as a gift from a loved one, then it will not hurt the phone to first untie the previous owner’s Apple ID. Otherwise, he can easily access your messages, photos of the browser history, etc.
This will allow you to create your own personal Apple ID so that you can link your card to it and buy apps, movies and music. The main thing is that the previous owner gives you all the data from his Apple ID.
To unlink your iPhone from Apple ID, go to Settings → Your name and click “Exit” at the very bottom of the page.
Done. If, on the contrary, you want to sell or donate your iPhone / iPad, then I also advise you to do all these points, but do not forget to complete all the other steps necessary to prepare for the sale of your iPhone.
Please note, once you unlink your device from your old Apple ID, you will no longer be able to use all apps, music, and movies purchased with that Apple ID, and you will not be able to use iCloud storage, iMessage, and FaceTime.
- Apple ID is needed to fully use any Apple technology: phone, tablet, computer and Apple TV;
- To create an Apple ID without a credit card, you need to start by downloading the free app;
- After registering your Apple ID, enable 2-Step Verification to protect it from thieves and fraudsters;
- Include backing up your phone or tablet to the iCloud cloud storage that you received with your Apple ID;
- As a bonus, check out my list of my favorite iPhone apps.