The public version of iOS 14 finally came out this week, and app developers have started adding new features to their apps. Google has already released updates for two of its apps and is preparing a third.
IOS 14 introduces new and improved widgets that you can now add to your home screen. The Google main app now has a quick search widget.
By tapping on the widget, you will open the keyboard and can immediately enter your query for a quick search. A larger widget with three useful icons is also available: voice search, incognito mode and image search.
Unlike Android, Image Search is part of the Google app, not the Assistant. Here’s how to add a new widget after installing a new version of the app:
- Hold the home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Click the “+” icon in the upper left corner to open the widget gallery.
- Find and select the Google app.
- Use swipes left and right to select the desired widget size.
- Click Add Widget.
- Position the widget on the screen and tap “Done” in the upper right corner of the screen.
As a reminder, in iOS 14 you can now change the default browser and mail client. The function is already supported by the Google Chrome browser. You can read more about this at the links below:
- iOS 14: How to Change the Default Browser on iPhone
- iOS 14: How to Change the Default Email Client on iPhone
In addition, Google is also preparing a Gmail update.