The Checkra1n development team recently released a new version of their jailbreak tool with partial support for iOS 14. The tool supports iPhone X and older models and cannot be fixed by a system update. Everyone knew that he would be the first to support iOS 14, but no one expected that soon. Below, we’ll show you how to jailbreak iOS 14 using the checkra1n tool.
So far, Checkra1n does not support iOS 14 on all supported devices.
Checkra1n compatible devices
So far, Checkra1n can be used to jailbreak the following iOS 14 devices:
- iPhone 6s, 6s Plus and SE
- iPad 5th generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 4
- 1st generation iPad Pro
- Apple TV 4 and 4K
Checkra1n team is already working on supporting the following devices:
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad Pro 2nd generation
- iPod Touch 7
However, support for the iPhone 8 and iPhone X may not appear at all due to the security changes Apple made in iOS 14.
In iOS 14, Apple added a limitation for A10 and newer devices. If after starting the device in DFU mode, the Secure Enclave system receives a request to decrypt user data, the system will start an alarm. Since the checkm8 exploit does not provide control over the Secure Enclave, the solution cannot be simple. However, thanks to the recently published blackbird vulnerability, we were able to gain control of the Secure Enclave system on A10 and A10X devices to remove the restriction. We are already working on supporting these devices. Everything will be ready in the next couple of weeks.
Checkra1n for iOS 14: what you need to know
- You will need a computer to install the checkra1n tool. So far, the tool is still officially only available for macOS. There is no official version for Windows yet.
- This is a semi-tethered jailbreak, which means you also need a computer to start the jailbreak process.
- The data on your device should remain intact, but we still recommend that you keep a copy of it.
How to jailbreak iOS 14 with Checkra1n
Step 1: Download checkra1n for macOS from here… Install it by dragging the file to the program folder.
Step 2: Now right click on the checkra1n icon and select Open… Do not open the program by double clicking the left mouse button.
Step 3: Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac using the Lightning cable. You may be prompted to trust this computer, which you must accept and enter the password.
Step 4: The connected device should appear in the checkra1n window. If your device is not supported, you will see an error message and the Start button will turn gray.
If this does not happen, press the button Start…
Step 5: Now the iPhone or iPad needs to be put into DFU mode. To do this, do the following:
- Without disconnecting your device from your Mac, turn off your iPhone or iPad.
- Press the side button and the volume down button at the same time for at least 10 seconds. The Apple logo shouldn’t appear yet. If it appears, start the process over.
- Release the side button, but keep holding the volume down button for another 5 seconds. The iTunes Connect icon should not appear on the screen. If it appears, you have been holding the buttons for too long.
- Your iPhone or iPad should display a black screen in DFU mode. If you did everything correctly, checkra1n will automatically detect your device.
Step 6: When Checkra1n detects your device, it will automatically start jailbreak installation. After that, the checkra1n application icon will appear on your iPhone / iPad.
Step 7: Launch the app and select Cydia to install the tweak manager. After that, the jailbreak process will be completed.
As a reminder, iOS 14 came out quite recently, and this is the first jailbreak tool for this version. Many tweaks will not support iOS 14, so install them carefully. It is best to wait a few days or even weeks.