The Checkra1n hacker team has released a jailbreak that is compatible with almost all iPhones and iPads with A7 – A11 processors. At the moment, the utility is still at the testing stage. Therefore, developers are not yet advising users to jailbreak their main device.
Checkra1n utility now supports all devices with iOS 12.3 and higher except:
- iPad Air 2
- iPad 5
- First generation iPad Pro.
There may also be some hacking issues:
- iPhone 5c
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad Air
As mentioned above, at the moment the Checkra1n utility is still at the testing stage. Therefore, the developers do not guarantee stable jailbreak.
In addition, the new jailbreak is semi-tethered. This means that after each device reboot, the jailbreak process must be repeated. In addition, while the developers have prepared a utility only for macOS, support for other operating systems is planned in the future.
How to jailbreak with checkra1n
- Make a backup copy of the iPhone or iPad that you plan to jailbreak.
- Reboot device.
- Connect iPhone or iPad to Mac using a cable.
- Go to the Checkra1n website and download the hacking utility. Currently only macOS version is available.
- Open the dmg file and drag the checkra1n icon to the applications folder.
- Go to the folder with installed programs, find the checkra1n application and use the right mouse button to bring up the context menu.
- Select Show Package Contents.
- In the window that opens, go to checkra1n – Contents – MacOS and open the checkra1n_gui.
- After that, the main window of the checkra1n utility will open.
- To start hacking, press the Start button.
- Use the on-screen instructions to enter the device into DFU mode.
- After switching the device to DFU mode, press the Start button.
- After that, the hacking process will start. At this point, the device cannot be disconnected from the computer.
- After the jailbreak process is complete, the checkra1n bootloader icon will appear on the iPhone or iPad screen.
- Launch the checkra1n application on a mobile device.
- Select the Cydia line and click the Install Cydia button.
- After completing the installation of the alternative store, the checkra1n application will be closed, and the Cydia icon will appear on the desktop.
At the moment, on the network, you can find many different reviews regarding the checkra1n utility. Some users note that they were able to jailbreak their devices on literally the first attempt. However, many people report that the jailbreak was not installed the first time. You can also find complaints about difficulties with authorization in the Cydia store.
The developers promise to constantly improve the checkra1n utility. A version for Windiows should appear in the future. Also, the authors plan to add support to the utility not only for Cydia, but also for other package managers. For example, Sileo.