With the release of macOS Sierra, Apple introduced Auto Unlock, which allows you to automatically unlock your Mac computers using your Watch.
♥ BY TOPIC: What are Active Calories in Apple Watch.
What devices does it work on + pre-configuration
This feature requires a Mac (Mid 2013 or later) with macOS Sierra and an Apple Watch with watchOS 3 or later. Check support for the function “Auto unlock»With your Mac as follows:
1. Press and hold the key ⌥Option (Alt) on keyboard.
2. Click the Apple menu () and go to the “System information“.
3. In the sidebar, select a section “Wi-Fi” and find on the right the line “Auto Unlock: Supported“.
Mac and Apple Watch must be linked to the same Apple ID (iCloud). To check this:
On Mac, open the app “System settings” and go to the iCloud section.
On iPhone, open the app Watch, and follow the path “Basic” → Apple ID…
In addition, you need to enable (if you have not done so before) two-factor authentication for the user’s Apple ID (not available in all countries). To set up two-factor authentication:
1. On iPhone with iOS 10.3 or higher, open the “Settings»And go to the Apple ID section (at the very top). On other iOS versions: Settings → iCloud and click on your Apple ID (E-mail).
2. Click “password and safety“.
3. In the section “Two-factor authentication»Click on the button Enable…
On a Mac computer
1. Go to the menu Apple () → “System Preferences” → Apple ID…
2. In the menu on the right, select a section “Password and safety”…
3. Turn on two-factor authentication, if it is turned off.
♥ BY TOPIC: Tips and Secrets for Apple Watch Users…
How to set up Apple Watch to automatically unlock your Mac
To set up your Mac to automatically unlock with your Apple Watch, do the following:
1… On Mac, turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
2… Create and activate a passcode on your Apple Watch, and turn on the feature “Wrist recognition”… To do this, open the Watch app on your iPhone and go to the section “Code-password”…
Passcode can be set right on your Apple Watch (Settings -> Code -> Include Code)…
3… On Mac go to System settings → Protection and safety → The main…
4… Check the box next to “Use Apple Watch to unlock the app and your Mac”…
If the two-factor authentication mode has not been configured earlier, the system will offer to do it now.
If the passcode has not been activated on the watch and the function “Wrist recognition”, macOS will also ask you to do this.
five… Enter your Mac password. After successfully entering the password, a special message will be displayed on the screen.
6… Lock your Mac, place your Apple Watch on your wrist, then activate the Mac password screen (wake up the computer).
7… The macOS start screen displays a message Unlocking with Apple Watch… In a second, you will be taken to your computer desktop.
If after this setup you don’t have an Apple Watch on your hand, you will have to enter your login password manually.